Google Play store allows Android users to search, download, install and update apps. At times this might not be the case when you want to download a certain app. The App might not show up, or if it does, you will get this frustrating message, ‘this item is not available in your country.’ Sometimes, you will get that message when you move to another country. Here’s the major reason why you might not be able to download some of the apps;
Certain apps are geo-restricted by Google to specific countries. For instance, if you don’t reside in the United Kingdom, you won’t be able to download the BBC iPlayer app. But worry not, I’ll take you through steps on how you can change your Google Play store region and download the app you want.
Changing Google Play Store Region Using a VPN
Google Play Store uses your IP address and your Google account information to determine your location. An IP address can be used to pinpoint the exact physical location of a device on the internet. So, if you want to change your geographical location without moving, it is recommended that you change your IP address. This might seem a hard task but not when you are using a Virtual Private Network (VPN). A VPN assigns you a new virtual IP address you can use on the net. This IP address is determined by the server location you choose. If you connect to a UK server, you will be assigned a UK IP address.
Below are detailed steps to follow when changing your Google Play region:
Remove your old account
When you sign into your Android device with a Google account, Google Play Store will store various information such as the region where you originally signed in from. Removing the said account, Google will also lose all your information. But before you delete your account, install a VPN first. To remove your account, proceed as follows;
- In your phone go to ‘Settings’ and tap the ‘Accounts’ icon.
- Tap ‘Google’ icon on the Accounts menu.
- Tap Remove account at the top-right on the drop-down bar.
- A warning that you will delete contacts, messages, and other data will pop up. Click REMOVE ACCOUNT and enter your password.
Connect your device to a VPN server.
- Once you have deleted the account, launch the VPN.
- Connect to a VPN server of a country of choice, (i.e. UK) after removing your old account successfully
Log Back to your Google Play account.
- After the VPN connection is complete, open the Google Play Store app.
- Tap Add your account.
- Enter your Gmail Account and the password. It will take seconds to load, and then a request for payment will pop up.
- Simply press CONTINUE to access play store.
A new list of apps and games will be available. The payment currency should have also changed.
In a nutshell;
- On your device, go to Settings -> Accounts-> Google and delete it.
- Connect to a VPN server in a country of your choice
- Relaunch Play Store app
- Access apps from a different country
Don’t let your location restrict you from downloading apps. Besides changing the location, a VPN also helps secure your information as well as taking care of your privacy.